Culture and Community
A Symposium presented in association with the Creative Arts Research Centre at Dundalk Institute of Technology
Friday 16th August | 1.30pm-4pm | Drogheda Library
The concept of community has been central to the development of Comhaltas Ceoltóirí Éireann and is at the heart of Fleadh Cheoil na hÉireann. In many instances, this community is underpinned by voluntary structures and efforts that have not only helped preserve and promote Ireland’s rich cultural heritage but have created an invaluable social network for Irish people around the world. In this symposium, we celebrate the experiences of people involved in Comhaltas through generations and how they have experienced a sense of community surrounding their musical lives.
Chaired by Dr Daithí Kearney, speakers including Ard Ollamh Pat Ahern will lead the discussion and invite contributions and reflections from the floor.
- Siobhán Ní Chonaráin – Comhaltas and Community
- Patrick Morrison – The Comhaltas Community Overseas
- Senan Lillis – ‘From Cooraclare to Blackwater… two song communities singing from the same sheet’
- Máirín de Brún – An Gaeilge agus muintearas
- Adèle Commins – A voluntary network in Louth and Oriel
- Pat Ahern – reflecting on community in Irish culture