Getting Around / Getting Here
Car Parking in Ennis for The Fleadh
Wondering where you will park up during the Fleadh?
From Friday a one way system will be introduced to help people to become familiar with the new traffic system in Ennis. You will however still be able to access the town with your car as normal albeit perhaps by a different route, so give yourself some extra time.
From Sunday there will be evening closures on some streets in the town, from 5pm to 8am the following morning.
Then, from 5pm on Thursday August 18 to 8am on Tuesday August 23, roads and streets in Ennis town centre will be closed.
While there will be some limited parking availability in designated car parks in the town, and facilities are in place to accommodate permit holders and blue badge holders, you may want to consider the shuttle bus service for ease of access. For €5, you can park your car all day in a supervised car park and a bus will pass about every 20 minutes to take you to designated points at the edge of the town centre. (The shuttle bus is free of charge.)
And if you are wondering which “Park and Ride” car park would suit your needs best we advise if you approach Ennis:
- From West Clare Kilrush, Kilmaley direction – Ennis Showgrounds or Éire Óg GAA
- From West Clare Lahinch, Milltown Malbay or Corofin direction – Bishops Field at ‘Maid of Erin’ roundabout, or Cloughleigh School
- From Galway M18 - Barefield Village (Hassett’s Pub Field), or Old ‘Our Ladys Hospital’ grounds, or Cois Na hAbhna
- From Limerick Direction – Clarecastle GAA, St. Flannans College, or Lynch’s Field on Limerick Road
- From East Clare R469 – Doora-Barefield GAA at Gurteen, or Clare Marts.
- From East Clare Tulla Direction – Avenue UTD rear of Roslevan Shopping Centre, or Glynn’s Field (beside Fitzpatrick’s Supermarket)
All of these car parks are supervised and are available for a daily rate of €5. A park and ride facility, free of charge, will be available from these locations to selected ‘drop off points’ close to the town. Car parking will not be allowed on the ‘Circulation Route’ or on the roadways inside the Circulation Route and any cars left in these areas will be towed away and a release fee will be charged.
Car Park Closures
- Abbey Street Car Park – Reserved for the Fleadh Gig Rig (see closures outlined above).
- Woodquay Car Park – Closed from 5.00 pm Thursday 18th August until 8.00 am Tuesday 23rd August (Reserved for Universal Parking and Permit Holders Only).
- Parnell Street Car Park - Closed from 5.00 pm Thursday 18th August until 8.00 am Tuesday 23rd
- Market Place Car Park – Closed from 12.00 noon Thursday 18th August until
8.00 am Tuesday 23rd August.
- Market Street Lower (Quinn’s Car Park) – Closed from 12.00 noon Thursday 18th August until 8.00 am Tuesday 23rd
- Barrack Street Car Park – Closed from 5.00pm Thursday 18th August until
8.00 am Tuesday 23rd August.
- Friars Walk Car Park – Reserved for Fleadh TV. Central Car Parking area and part to the north of the Car Park (adjacent to the wall on the Museum/Friary side) closed from 5.00 pm Wednesday 10th August until 8.00 am Tuesday 23rd Fully closed from 6.00 pm Thursday 18th August until 8.00 am Tuesday 23rd August (Restricted access to Temple Gate Hotel)
- Universal Car parking will be available at: Friary Car Park, Bindon Street/Mill Road Car Park, Waterpark House, Drumbiggle Road, Cathedral Car Park, The Courthouse, Council Offices, New Road, Coláiste
- Permit Holder Car parking will be available at: Cloughleigh Car Park and Station road.
- Both Permit Holder and Universal Car parking will be available at: Woodquay Car Park, Cornmarket Street Car Park, Old Ennis National School, Holy Family School and Glór.
During the above road closures the traffic flow on the Ennis Inner Ring Road (along Clare Road, Carmody Street, Cornmarket Street, Mill Road, Sandfield Road, Highfield Road, part of Gort Road, Lifford Road, Tulla Road, Clon Road and St. Flannan's Terrace) will be in one direction clockwise. Right turns at roundabouts will be permitted. Follow the temporary Way Finding Signage for Parking or Park and Ride locations. ‘NO PARKING’ zones will be in place on this principal circulation route and unauthorised parking will result in vehicles being towed away.
Access for Deliveries
Access for deliveries will be strictly limited to between 06:00 am and 10:30 am each morning.
Access for Residents
Vehicular access for residents will be maintained / provided where practicable.
Emergency Access will be maintained.
Temporary Car Parks
Friday 12th August to Sunday 21st August (inclusive)
- Ennis Showground’s, Drumbiggle Road
- Flannan's College
- Old National School, Kilrush Road
- Cattle Mart, Quin Road (from Friday 19th August – Sunday 21st August)
- Ennis Community College Playing Field, Cusack Road
Park and Ride will operate from Friday 19th to Sunday 21st August from 8 am until 2 am
They will operate along the following routes:
- Barefield to Ennis to Roslevan
- Clarecastle to Ennis
- Gorteen (Doora /Barefield GAA) to Ennis
Temporary Taxi Ranks
Between Thursday 18th August and Sunday 21st August, temporary taxi ranks will be provided at the following locations:
- Clon road (East side of Clon road)
- Cusack Park (opposite Tesco on Francis street)
- Bothar na Trocaire (opposite Dunnes Stores)
- Turnpike Road
- Showground’s (at eir building)
- Circular Road/Old Mill Road (north and west side of McInerney’s yard)
- Anthony’s Terrace (opposite School)
- Steele’s Terrace (adjacent to the Courthouse)
- Lifford Road (adjacent to Tim Smyth Park)
You can get further information including on road closures on Clare County Councils website http://www.clarecoco.ie/planning/news/event-licence-application-for-fleadh-cheoil-na- heireann-2016.html
Dublin Coach are proud to be named as official transport partner to this year’s Fleadh Cheoil in Ennis.
Our M7 Route stops in the heart of Ennis, right in the centre of all the festival venues.
Travel to festival on Dublin Coach with connections to Ennis from:
Limerick, Kildare, Dublin, Bunratty, Dublin Airport, Adare, Newcastle West, Abbeyfeale, Tralee, Killarney, Cork, Dungarvan, Waterford, Kilkenny
For full details of the timetable, stops and fares, see Dublin Coach M7 Services page.
Bus Éireann have a wide network of services that can be availed of – including local routes between towns, villages and other hubs in Clare, along with Expressway intercity routes connecting to Ennis.
This includes an extensive range of services between Shannon Airport and Ennis making Shannon an ideal base for international visitors to enjoy the delights of Irish music and culture, over the duration of the Fleadh.
Bus Éireann have boosted their local services and the popular Route 51 Cork/Limerick/Galway Expressway service, to cater for demand over the busy weekend of Friday 19th, Saturday 20th and Sunday 21st.
Over these three days Bus Éireann’s Route 51 to Galway will have an additional late departure at 11.15 pm from Ennis Bus/Train Station - along with the current hourly service that operates throughout the day. Additional services, including late night services, will operate on Route 333 Ennis/Milltown Malbay, Route 336 Ennis/Kilkee, Route 343 Limerick/Shannon/Ennis and Route 350 Ennis/Doolin.
On Sunday 21st August Route 343 Limerick/Shannon/Ennis will operate with an hourly frequency similar to the weekday service.
A one-way traffic management plan will operate in the town and this system comes into effect at 6.00pm on Friday, August 12th until 8am on Tuesday, August 23rd.
Customers should note that some bus stops are affected and that Route 51 will not operate via Clarecastle on 19th, 20th and 21st August.
Further information www.buseireann.ie/fleadh or Bus Éireann Customer Service 1850 836 611.
Shannon Airport, is one of Ireland's main international airports and is a gateway for flights to the west of Ireland from the U.S., UK and Europe. It is just 27km / 17 miles from Ennis town. The nearest cities are Limerick to the south and Galway to the north. Shannon Airport is the main sponsor of Fleadh Cheoil na hÉireann Inis 2016.
Travelling by Train to Ennis
Book your seat here